Friday, September 14, 2007

Denton Tall Tales #26

There was only one gang in Denton that I knew of. They were around when I was much younger and were really small. They weren’t a gang in the sense of the bloods or crips, they were just four Italian kids that hung out together. The name of their gang was the I.W.A., Italians with Attitude. They were relatively harmless and were some of the wealthier kids in town, but I still would get nervous when I saw them.

The most notorious of the gang, (ironically I cant remember his name) brought a shovel handle to school one day and beat up a kid with it. He had been hitting on his girlfriend or something stupid like that. He was expelled. I was in 8th grade when this happened, and already terrified of going to high school. This didn’t help things much.

3 comments:

urn said...

Actually his name was Travis Newman, he worked for my grandfather's construction company later in life while I was working there one summer. I asked him about that incident he said someone stole some money from him or something along those lines and tried to start a fight about it when he confronted them about it, he lost his cool and you know the rest. It was weird for him to talk about it so casually. Almost didn't seem that crazy, but it did sound fucking crazy when we first heard about it in middle school. Anyways he told me all kinds of Crazy stories about him and the rest of the IWA. I'll share those stories at the next BBQ.

Actually the other members of the IWA tried to kick my ass one time for wearing a Yankees hat at a Party near Denton. They loved the Yankees and couldn't stand to see some Dentonian wearing
the white and blue. I liked the hat because it didn't look as shitty as the Orioles logo. Anyways Brian Bart (another non-official member, haden't become a "made man" quite yet) vouched for me as a friend and they left me alone and went and kicked someone else's Ass. If you're reading this Brian, Thanks again, this Bud's for you...

urn said...

You may be right, it may have been about a girl, it's probably been a while since I talked to him. Didn't want to discredit the Denton Tall Tales. Good Stuff, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

you should have been beat up for wearing a yankees hat.

GO O's!!!!!!