Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Denton Tall Tales #11

When I first arrived in Denton I couldn't speak any English. I understood it very well but had trouble speaking. I started school towards the end of kindergarten.

There were no ESL programs at the school and I was actually the first student they ever had that couldn't speak English. They weren’t quite sure what to do with me, so they put me in the RETARDED KIDS CLASS. I can remember complaining to my mom that all of the other kids were real weird. I had recess with the normal kids and they would speak jibberish to me as if they were speaking another language. I would call them dirty words in Portuguese. When I did learn English I told my mom that I never wanted to speak Portuguese ever again. She would try and talk to me around the house but I would just ignore her unless it was in English. I may have been traumatized.

Growing up I was called both a Spic and a Mexican. I don’t speak Spanish nor have I ever been to Mexico.

No comments: