Sunday, August 26, 2007

Kanye/Skepticism/Hype/Talent

Back in 2004, I actually bought into the hype with Kanye and went out and bought his debut album "College Drop-Out"(It was all part of the delusion that I was under at the time that Hip Hop as I had grown to appreciate it was alive and well). I was familiar with his production work,(which I'm a fan of to this day) and I had seen the videos w/him chillin with Talib, Mos, Dialated etc and thought to myself this shit might be dope. After listening to the cd I had buyers remorse, aside from a decent single here and there I wasn't feeling it... Flash forward to 2005 and "Late Registration" I felt like I knew what I was in for copped the singles to bang at the club and gave the album a pass. I wasn't buying into his whole "act" and didn't feel like I had missed out on anything... Flash forward again to current day and "Graduation"... I feel like it's 04 all over again, I'm thinking to myself, he's stepping out and doing shit different, (sampling Daft Punk for the first single stronger), and I really like the 2nd single "Can't Tell Me Nothing" not to mention the video!

I also just heard "Pro Nails" with Kid Siter produced by A-trak and there I am again all excited thinking this shit is dope!
So the question remains, is it hype or is the guy genuinely talented and going to give me a quality album? I don't expect him to change the direction of the shit stew that has become rap/hip hop? (Yes including Lil Wayne!)
I have my money on Plastic Little but as I mentioned earlier when it comes to music I often catch myself in a delusional state...

2 comments:

Velocity_B said...

This is the "official" video, Kanye has done this in the past, having 2 videos for the same song. http://youtube.com/watch?v=YAzkKUPaVlAAlso I apollogize to Liam for not mentioning "Thorw some D's on that Bitch" but come on isnt that a given at this point?

Kenny Bloggins said...

just cop it so curtis "half dollar" jackson will stop making albums.

http://www.defsounds.com/news/view/2260-5-cent-outsell-kanye-or-stop-trying.html

kanye is a chump but he's way better than curtis